Saturday, May 12, 2007

A little of this, a little of that

I got a new car! I had my old car, a 1993 Thunderbird named Liesl, for 6 years, and she was getting old and arthritic and crotchety. (Well, she WAS 14 years old. Are there "car years," like dog or cat years?) Behold, my new as-yet-unnamed car (and our fabulous townhome!):


She's a 2001 Jetta GLS, one of my dream cars. (My second choice was a Toyota Camry, but in keeping with my poor white trash tendencies, Jettas are cheaper.) I'm thinking of naming her Lily, but I can't decide if that's a suitable name for a black car.

A little bit of knitting: My dear friend Maggi just had a baby last Friday, and I found the most adorable pattern for her new little girl. I don't want to spoil the surprise in case she happens to read this before I can get it to her, but it might even be cuter than the fuzzy bunnies. There was a bit of a mishap toward the beginning of it, which means I'll have to wash it before I give it to her, as she might not appreciate a baby gift that smells like rum. I was a little depressed because when I left for work that morning, both of our goldfish were doing, well, swimmingly, but when I came home from work a mere 9 hours later, one was obsessivly gasping at the surface of the tank and the other was dead. So I was drinking the expensive rum that we bought at the Mall of America last weekend, and I spilled it. I spilled it away from the yarn and the project, but then for some reason I neglected to wash my hands before I started knitting again. I didn't really notice it until the next day, when I was packing it into my purse so I could work on it over my lunch break. Wow, it was strong. It smells better now, but Maggi is a non-drinker, so she could probably smell it where I couldn't. I also spilled it on the Agatha Christie book that I had just gotten in the mail, and that smell didn't fade. I'm almost finished reading it, which is good because every time I turn a page I get this strooooong whiff of rum. When will I learn? No rum and knitting. Maybe I should start drinking my rum in a sippy cup.

2 comments:

testglobaltraffic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maggi said...

You got rum on my baby's present? What are you trying to do to her?

I probably would smell it, hehe. Besides, that's a terrible waste of such lovely expensive rum. Yes, I am a non-drinking drunk, hehe. Kick me out of the HoDo! Oh, not to mention post-pregnant and "the nose" has not gone away (your sense of smell is heightened). Was your Agatha Christie book "Caribbean Mystery"? It would have been apropos. Did you get it from PBS?

BTW, I have a sippy cup I'll send you.

Cute bunnies--that would be horrifying if you gave my baby a bunny, nevermind the 35 women going "awwww". I'd wonder if you were threatening her.

Nice new car. When are you all heading West? Or are you currently? Have fun.