Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sock!

My sock is dumb and I hate it. Just kidding, it's a beautiful sock and I'm sure that once I get past the bloody heel turn I'll enjoy it for years and years. After the first frogging, I tried again using a different method, not thinking - duh - that you can't work a top-down heel on a toe-up sock. I've worked two other whole heel turns before this one and didn't have any problems at all! So, I've taken a break or two.

I spent today working on a gift for LomL. He has a sock person of sorts, made at least 30 years ago by some kind Presbyterian lady. The sock person, named Sam, is falling apart and showing his innards in some places. (From the looks of it, he has panty hose for brains.) Since Sam is getting old and lonely, I made a bride for him. Her name is either Samantha or Tiffani, we're not sure yet. She's a Sweet Young Thing, though, and obviously after his money (she needs a nose job). Here is their wedding picture:



Judging by the beer bottle in the background, it was not a dry wedding. I would like to point out that I totally free-handed the embroidery on her face, which is why one eye is smaller. Actually, she's winking at Sam, because that's just the kind of Saucy Sock that she is.


I also started on a possible birthday present for my brother-in-law. I say possible because the pattern is rather involved, and I would like to make two, one for him and one for his girlfriend. We'll see. Anyway, they are fans of the British televison show "Dr. Who," and I happened to find a pattern for a Dalek online. Apparently this is an evil robot; I have yet to see the show, but plans are being made to remedy this.


I am a frequent visitor of Paperback Swap, an awesome webpage where you can trade books with people all over the country at the cost of media rate shipping. Basically, you post a book that you don't want anymore and someone in Ohio decides that they have to have it (Terry Pratchett books are very popular, for example). You ship it to them for $2.13, and when they receive it, you get a credit, which you can use to order any book posted on the site. The person who originally posted that book ships it to you at his cost, and a few days later you get a "free" book in the mail. So, having an extra credit and no specific book in mind to use it on, I did a general search for "knitting." There wasn't really anything good, but I'm a fan of kitsch so the book entitled "Yarn: The Things It Makes and How To Make Them" seemed like a fun choice. If it sucks, it's not like I spent a lot of money on it. When I get it, I'll be sure to review it, so that my readers can rush right out and order their own copy, if it's any good. And if you decide to join Paperback Swap, you should tell them that I, lieslmareth, referred you.


Did you see "The Order of the Phoenix" yet? Ginny had a cute probably-crocheted vest near the end of the movie.

No comments: