Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cake

I made a cake! It's my very own Katamari Damacy cake, although I think the inspiration for the colors might have actually come from We ♥ Katamari. But no matter. Here it is!



I used a "sports ball" cake pan and 10 mini muffins. On a side note, did you know that they no longer sell the liquid food coloring made by McCormick that we all grew up with? Man, that stuff lasted forever. I suspect that McCormick finally ran out of the original batch that they made back in 1956.

Anyway.

Lessons that I learned:
1. I need a lazy susan
2. Don't decorate a round cake on a plate that has curved edges, unless you don't mind if there are huge spaces at the bottom of the cake that don't have frosting on them
3. Start from the bottom, not the top
4. Spend a little more time thinking about how much frosting you will need of each color (for example, why did I make a huge batch of "lightest blue," and a tiny batch of yellow, when I clearly needed more of the yellow?)
5. Spend a little more time placing the knobbies so that they're even

Other than that, I'm quite pleased. I love the colors, especially the dark blue.

1 comment:

konroyb said...

Diane,

That's so awesome! I like the part about mixing a gallon of yellow frosting.

Hey, if you need some liquid food coloring, my mom still has some from the original batch of 1956. I'm sure you could also get some smuggled out of China. of course, it was probably made by melting down yellow clogs.

--Konroy