Sunday, November 11, 2007

Chronicle of a Sock Foretold

As you know if you have read some of my earlier posts, I have a nasty habit of not finishing what I start. On Thursday night, I started making the Highland Schottische Kilt Hose and I would reallyreally like to finish them. So, I am going to try an experiment, and document my journey in the hopes that it will give me the kick in the ass I need to finish them. I've honestly made it quite a bit farther than I thought I would, so hopefully that's a good sign.

I cast on Thursday night, the day I got the book in the mail, and got about halfway done with the top (or bottom, I guess) of the cuff. (The cuff folds down, covering up the clever-ribbing-put-there-to-hold-the-thing-up-when-you're-wearing-it. You knit the cuff and the ribbing, and then turn the sock inside out and knit the leg in the other direction.)

Friday night, I finished the top/bottom of the cuff and also cleared up a little mystery, which will help me finish Tsantsa. I didn't understand the concept of an embossed stitch, but now I do! Hurrah! So, there is once again the possibility that my camera will be carried around in a little shrunken head. Of more immediate concern, I also made it through the first repeat of the argyle cuff pattern.

Saturday. In between another one of our orandas dying, the ill-fated hunt for a replacement and the purchase of new winter gear (oh, and playing some Lego Star Wars), I managed to finish the argyle pattern and start on the ribbing. By "start on the ribbing" I mean "I knit one row and then went to bed at 8 because my head hurt so bad I couldn't see straight." It's been a good long while since I've knit that much all at once. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Long Island Tea AND White Russian I had had the night before ........

Currently, I've got about 1/2 inch of ribbing left to go, and then I start on the actual leg. I'm so proud of me!


The little dangly bit at the bottom is one of my spiffy stitch markers. I hope to have more to show for myself tomorrow night.

No comments: