Monday, April 9, 2007

Knit, knit, knit!

So what am I working on?

Currently, I am - horrors! - unraveling the very first sweater that I ever made. Don't worry, it was ugly. Really. The pattern was actually very nice, a shrug of sorts, sewn together in the front with a nifty little criss-cross. (I will shortly be posting pictures for you to laugh at, as soon as LomL (as he has been redubbed by brandØn123) e-mails them to me) Out of all of the questions that need to be asked when choosing yarn for a garment, I did not ask the most important one: If I decide that I hate the finished product, could I unravel it and conceivably make it into a polar bear or a sheep? If the answer is yes, I should give up the idea of the sweater for good because it will only end in LomL calling me an abominable snowperson whenever I wear the thing. The polar bear is coming along nicely, however. According to my friend Megan, it is "excessively cute." I have Plans for it, though ...

I'm also, slowly, making up a little sample sock from "Sensational Knitted Socks" by Charlene Schurch. I like to knit in the round, so I like making socks, but I also have a short attention span. If I finish one sock, something shiny soon attracts my attention and the second sock lives a pitiful half-existence until I need the needles it is living on for another project, at which point I guiltily shove the sock to the bottom of my yarn basket. Because of this, I had often thought that it would be really great if you could knit two things in the round at the same time, such as socks or mittens. One day, I found this. Reading this article, you may say to yourself, "This woman is an insufferable twit and the Magic Looper should stab her." That's what I said, anyway. But I have to admit that it's a really nifty idea. I haven't gotten to the heel turn though, so I may go back to my original opinion.

The last project I am working on is a sweater. Yes, I did ask myself The Question, and unless I decide to make a fuzzy green raccoon, the yarn is forever safe from being turned into a woodland creature. The sweater is soft and green and fuzzy and cabley, with 3/4 length bell sleeves and cute little crochet ties in front. I haven't had any major problems, but I also haven't had to do this yet: "Work dec row every other row 2 times, every 4th row 14 times, AT SAME TIME, when piece measures 13" end with a WS row and work armhole shaping as foll:" etc, etc. I've done it before and it's not really that hard, but I also know that I have a problem with paying attention to what I'm doing, often to my detriment.

I'm rounding up pictures, I promise.

No comments: