Wednesday, April 18, 2007

LYS

Still no pictures. We're trying, but apparently the gods are against us.

I finished the back of the fuzzy sweater! Between Saturday morning and Sunday evening, I knit 10 inches. I didn't even know I had it in me! But I'm taking a little break now, 'cause wow. I haven't gotten any farther on the little mini 2-for-1 sock, and I haven't unraveled any more yarn for my polar bear. Soon, soon.

A few weeks ago, I bought some fabulous yarn. It was the most beautiful shade of purple, and very soft and ... soft. By the way, this might be a good time to mention that I am not a yarn snob. We do have one actual yarn store in town, but I hate going to it, for several (probably baseless) reasons. You know how when you go to some stores you get attacked by sales people? They just want to help, but I want them to leave me alone. Well, the proprietors of Fargo's LYS apparently know this about me, because it is nearly impossible to get anyone to even ask if they can help me, let alone help me. I have to follow them around the store, looking as helpless as I can, looking them directly in the eye, saying "Excuse me, can you help me?" etc, etc before they will deign to acknowledge my existence. When I finally do get some assistance, I get the distinct feeling that the sales person feels that I just wasted too much of her precious time. Maybe they don't think that I should be a knitter. And it's not just me. The local paper did a news story on knitting a year or so ago, and featured the store. My favorite quote? One of the owners said, "I like it when men come into my store. They don't ask so many questions." So I don't go there very often, to avoid asking too many annoying questions. Anyway, I am (mostly) content to do my yarn shopping at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. The fabulous yarn was Hobby Lobby's Yarn Bee brand. I know that it's cheap acrylic, and I know that it will probably not wear well on whatever I decide to make out of it, but it's beautiful nonetheless.

2 comments:

Amber Joy said...

Come on over to my blog and scroll down the the "My Favorite Online Stores" section on the sidebar - I'm not what much of a yarn "snob" per se, but I love working with the nice stuff when I can, and I LOVE a good bargain! All my store links go to places with excellent prices and nice-quality yarns.

Maggi said...

Wow, that's the way to scare off business! They don't ask questions, Ha! Why work where you have to talk to people, i.e. a store.